Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tying up loose ends...

At our school, we have many Korean employees that join us every day. The owners, James and Michelle are married and speak very good English. Our supervisor, Irene, went to school in Canada so her English is phenomenol. Then we have 3 teacher's aides that barely speak English, a secretary who does a little better than them, and a cook who does not know a single word.
Because it will be easier for all involved, I'm going to try to learn a new Korean word everyday and use it. Today, I learned the word for "crazy."

It is pronounced mee cha say yo.

It is not to be confused with delicious, moo cha say yo, or handsome, mah cha say yo.

The rumor is that most words in Korean are like this. You change/mispronounce one little syllable and you could accidently refer to a handsome man as crazy!

Also, "thank you" is kum sah ha mee dah. Usually, it sounds like kumsamedaaaaahhh, when you're leaving a store. Korean is very sing-song, beautiful in its own rite.

To catch up, as well, the pork dish we ate on Monday night is known as Samgeoypsal, not san daksun. I have a hard time understanding the sounds people are making, and when you can't read the words, its even harder. Please forgive me and note the correction.

Another catch up, the rice liquor we ate with our dakgalbi last week is known as makgeolli. Its milky and served in a bowl.

Further catch up, I've purchased a mattress pad and a pillow... I'm sleeping like a baby.

Tomorrow's blog will include an answer to Anne's comment. She said she was interested in how I teach English to people who can't understand me. This is a very good question. I will pay attention tomorrow so that I can try to explain. :-)

Over halfway through week one! HOORAY!

Aunt Katie just asked if I have more pictures of my other students. I have a few, but not of all of them.
Clockwise from top left: Clara, Kei, and Daisy (2:30pm MWF) waiting for the bell, Clara strikes a pose, and my wardrobe icons: Alice and Clara (4 pm MWF).











1 comment:

  1. ooh I got mentioned in the blog! I feel famous!

    ReplyDelete