Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Secret Garden in a Cement World

Some of you may know that I have a huge interest in photography. I won't say that I have huge talent in taking photos, but I will say that where there's a will, there's a way. I'm hell-bent on focusing on this outlet for my creativity this year. I've been doing some studying of photographers I love and trying to notice ways they crop their photos, process them, and the general feeling I get when I see them. I don't quite have the equipment that these pros have (although I do have a huge wish list that includes the new Canon 5D Mark II), nor have I earned my right to purchase them yet. I'm trying to work with what I have, a Canon Rebel XT (whom I have lovingly begun referring to as Penny - because she cost me a pretty one). I bought her about 3.5 years ago right before I went to Rome for the summer. I know this camera can do way more than I've given her credit for so between me and her, we have a lot of digging and discovering to do.


I went on a walk this afternoon searching for inspiration when I stumbled upon this little garden. Land is a hot commodity in Asia so if you can own a patch of land like this, it's awfully generous of you to grow vegetables and flowers on it. I appreciate it, anyway. The garden had a plethora of vegetation, but I fell in love with this little patch of sunflowers in the back. I want to go back and shoot them in the morning light. Also, all over Korea, you will see red peppers like the ones below laid out on blankets as shown. This is how they dry them, and then use them to make their chili pepper paste which is pretty much used in EVERYTHING they eat.


Here are some shots I took:




Now that I'm looking at them again, I have a lot of practicing to do.
Posts to come this week:
- a moment by moment photo documentary of my galbi lunch today :-)
- a look at my walk to school
- I rearranged my room!
Note: The trip to Japan is in the works. I found some pretty decently priced flights from Seoul to Tokyo. Here's hoping! Anybody have any tips for travelling in Tokyo/Japan?

Oh! My mom said some people were asking about my address here. It is easiest to send mail and packages to the school.
Here you go:
Kids College Yongin Dongbaek
c/o Molly Rowan
8F, Dongchang Plaza, 849-1, Jung-Dong, Kiheung-Gu
Yongin-si, Gyeonggi-Do
South Korea
446-916
I'm really missing: Fiber One Oats and Chocolate Bars, good tweezers, and any color nail polish you feel like sending. haha :-)
Letters are fun, too.
Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous13.9.09

    Looks like you are settling into your new home. What an amazing adventure you are on! Keep up the photography... looking good!

    ReplyDelete