Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ho Dduk

Last weekend, I tried my hand at making some Ho dduk. Ho dduk is a street food that you can find many vendors serving all of the country in little pop up shops on sidewalks. It's a "dduk" pancake with cinnamon, sugar and ground peanuts on the inside.

Dduk, like I've told you, is a Korean rice "cake." They take rice powder (made from ground dried rice), mix with water and reform it into different shapes. Dduk is a chewy, dumpling-like substance with not much taste, but is a huge component in the Korean diet.

I bought a mix, because I wasn't about to try it without. Everything on the package that I needed to be able to read was in Korean, though, so I had to wing it:

Inside, there was a package for the mixture for the inside: Cinnamon, sugar and crushed peanuts:


Then, there was a flour-y mixture for the dduk part,


and some instant yeast for the dough.


From the back of the package, I gathered that I needed to mix the flour and yeast with 260 mL of warm water, then cover it, and let it rise for 30 minutes. Yeah, I got all that from Korean characters and pictures.

Here's the dough all mixed up!

...and covered.
Then, the dough is really sticky, so I coated my hands in grapeseed oil, along with the frying pan on low heat.
I took a chunk of dough and patted it into a circular shape,

put a spoonful of the inside mixture in the middle,
rolled it up into a ball,


and flattened it like a pancake and put it in the grapeseed oil-greased pan.


Repeat, and flip the pancakes until desired brown, crispy, goodness.

My fellow Dongbaek-ians, Ryan, Betsy and Dustin came over after their dinners to enjoy, which was awesome because, otherwise, I would have eaten them all myself! There was about 10-11!

They were not as good as the ones you can buy on the street, I didn't put enough filling in them because I was concerned about the filling falling out. I don't think the men on the street who whip these out care if the filling leaks out. Noted for next time. Yumm-o!

No comments:

Post a Comment