Saturday, March 27, 2010

Almost 7 Months: Time to Regroup

When I thought about coming to Korea for a year it sounded long, but nothing I couldn't handle. I knew Skype would make it possible for me to call my family and friends more often than necessary (sorry, Mom!). I could still be on Facebook regularly, and with its new(ish) chat feature, it would really be like living in Nashville again. In fact, I was so confident in the year-long move being a breeze, that I silently snickered at people who told me, "I just could never do it."

Now that I'm here, and well over the hill in my time here, I've learned that I was right. Aside from the annual bout of slight depression that winter weather brings on, I have adjusted really well to being so far from home. I would probably consider extending my contract if 1, my boss wasn't such a jerk and 2, I didn't have two very, very, very, important (to me) weddings to attend in October.

That being said, they're are many things that I miss immensely. I really miss boneless, skinless, white-meat chicken. I really miss baking and having it be more cost-effective to cook. As convenient and cheap as it is to by already-made Korean take-out and restaurant food I hate not knowing EXACTLY what it is I'm eating. To be fair, Korean food is mostly healthy and I haven't gained any weight since arriving (even throughout the winter blahs! amazing!), but the control freak in me has a much better time of things when I can know what I'm shoving in my mouth 80% of the time.

Also, me freedom is pretty thwarted by lack of an automobile. Public transportation is a great system, but it has its boundaries. I don't like boundaries.

I was told that mother dubbed me "fiercely independent" in a conversation she had with my then-boyfriend over the summer last year (given that that same independent streak is the majority of the reason for the "then" status in front of boyfriend, I'm sure he wishes he had heeded the warning). Being "fiercely independent" offers millions of opportunities and experiences that I'm grateful for, and millions of responsibilities and experiences that make me want to crawl back in the womb. This experience in Korea is no exception.

I began this blog and trip with three goals in mind: to be brave, curious, and inspired.

I'm glad to revisit these goals because, honestly, I couldn't recall them and needed to go back and read the first post to remember what they were! At this point in my trip, there is still a lot of time for growth and I think today is a perfect day for a pep talk. Spring is in the air and nothing screams re-commitment like Spring!

Be Brave:

Though courageous may appear to be something that would be on my list of current attributes, it still needs a lot of work. I can think of a few opportunities (namely, snow skiing), that I have passed up since arrival. I can usual rationalize missing them because of financial reasons, or need for alone time, or complete hatred of winter weather but in reality, I'm just a chicken. Anything that requires any amount of physical coordination petrifies me. Remember that mountain we hiked? If I had known what exactly it was that I'd be doing, there is NO WAY I would have attended. I did attend, though, and I did make it up the mountain. Maybe I'm not as bad as I think.

On a positive note, I have tried many foods that a mere thought of would have made me gag just a few years ago.

Progress report on "Be Brave" (out of 10): 4.2

Be Curious:

This one really isn't a problem for me. I want to learn things all the time. I ask Koreans questions about food, traditions, family, love lives, politics, and religion. I show no signs of weakness when it comes to wanting to know something. I've spent more time Google-ing (is that an official verb yet?) and inquiring in the last 7 months than I can count.

Progess report on "Be Curious" (out of 10): 9.0 (A perfect score would insinuate that there's no room for improvement, and that's NEVER the case with learning)

Be Inspired:

This one's tough to evaluate. I don't really know what I was looking to be inspired by when coming here. I do know that initially my experience in Korea was going to be just that - a year-long, shake your sillies out adventure.. I was hoping to "figure it out" while I was here, move home, go back to school if required, and pursue whatever dream it was that I came up with while I was here. All I've found though, is hundreds of other seekers here who are just looking for the next adventure. I guess in some ways, they have inspired me. I no longer believe that I'll be home for good in September. In fact, a possible jaunt in Australia and South America are on the hypothetical calendar. Maybe this blog will be life-long!

In terms of a career, I haven't narrowed down one that makes sense to me just yet. I love kids, but the pressure of educating them leaves little room for me to enjoy them. I like to snuggle them and run around outside and bake cookies, not so much try to get them all to turn to page 3 simultaneously.

I like taking pictures, but know that a career in photography would rob me of the enjoyment so we'll leave that as a hobby.

I am fascinated by pregnancy and could talk about it all day (weird, I know). I am obsessed with food and nutrition and could talk about it all day. I am obsessed with traveling and could dream about it all day. These have become very apparent to me over the last few months. Now, if I could just combine them...

It's amazing how new, fresh people in your life can offer you so much insight to your habits and thoughts. The three things above are things I already knew about myself, for the most part, but when you're around all brand-new people, they can only judge you for who you are at that moment. They do not take into account things you did as a child, or things you did in college (phew). They can just judge you by what you do and say in your new, foreign environment. How telling these assessments can be. Hopefully, I will continue to use these new friends as sounding boards and come up with something concrete before this year's up.

Maybe not. But the process of trying is fun enough.

Progress Report on "Be Inspired" (out of 10): 7.6

Overall, I think I'm doing okay. A refresher in these goals was a good idea (insert self pat on the back here), and hopefully I will remember them in my day-to-day life from here on out.

April 1 marks the completion of my seventh month in Korea! It really is a time warp. I feel like I just got here, but have been here forever all at the same time. How about you? How have the last 7 months gone for you?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous28.3.10

    Very very proud mom. I give you a 10 for every mother's dream!! xoxo mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very proud mom. I give you a 10 as every mother's dream. xoxo. mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous29.3.10

    Mol,
    Sure hope your Boss does not check into your blog! Self Assessment is so very wise and I admire you for doing it out for the public to "see ad hear".
    I am confident that there is a nice combo of packaged interests and skills awaiting you right around the corner............or at least know you will have a great adventure looking for it!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete