Saturday, October 24, 2009

I love Fall.

It sounds like the Midwest is kind of missing out on its Fall. I've heard stories of cold spells, rain, and to be honest, it sounds miserable.

Fall is my favorite time of year. In Korea, so far, Fall has been absolutely perfect. It's been about 60-70 degrees, the leaves are slowly turning rich shades of red and yellow. From my school window, I can see all of the mountains that surround Dongbaek. They are tree-covered and are simply breathtaking right now. Some are evergreens, while others are starting their winterizing process. They are like splashes of rainbows against a bright blue sky. It doesn't get any better than that.

I also love Fall because I feel like it is just an extension of summer. A slow progression into the paralysis of winter. I hate it when things come to an end (well, most things), summer most especially. Everyone is so happy during the summer, so productive, so... OUTSIDE! When Fall is perfect like it has been here, that mood continues on and can carry you a long way into the drudge of winter.

Fall also means a plethora of my favorite HOLIDAYS! The Halloween party is coming up at school on Friday. My girls have been counting down on our calendar since the beginning of October. Even toward the end of September they would say: "Teacher, today... September. Then... October... HALLOWEEN!" I'd say: "Yes. Halloween is in October, but it's not October for like 20 more days... and Halloween is at the end!"

Needless to say, Halloween has been long awaited at Kid's College. I'm kind of skimping this year because I'm being tight with money again (and it's soooo fun). I think I'm going to wear all black and hand make some cat ears and a tale and call myself a cat. It sounds like both of my girls are going to be Snow White? I can't quite figure that out. I ask them everyday and they just repeat what that other says. Something about "bootiful dress" and "bootiful shoes." We shall see.

The only bummer about Fall in Korea is that I will miss out on the Thanksgiving and Christmas anticipation. Thanksgiving (obviously) doesn't exist here, and Christmas, though celebrated, is "just another birthday." I've heard I may be lucky to find a few buildings with Christmas lights up.

As sad as I am about missing Christmas and Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday - the only day when it's totally appropriate to be a gluttonous pig), this weather is really making up for it.

I spent the weekend try to make my $20 last until Tuesday. Just for fun, not really because I needed to. So far it's been going very smoothly. I went for a long walk both yesterday and today. Running still beats up on my hip - I should probably get it checked out. eh. It was perfect t-shirt and pants weather. I stopped for some kimbap yesterday, then sat at the park nearby to eat it and people watch. There were so many families out playing with their itty bitty dogs (apartment living isn't really conducive to big dogs). Precious little Korean children were everywhere. The air even smells like Fall. I wish it could stay like this the whole time I'm here!

Here's a shot of the beauty that is all around me right now:



Isn't that just amazing?!?!?!

I hope you're doing what you can with your Fall. The snow and real cold will be here before you know it... soak it up while you can!

Happy end of October!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so we had a cold and wet spell but this last week was much warmer and the trees are beautiful. Folks just need to stop and take a look! I love fall too but damn that season that follows.
    Enjoy babe!

    ReplyDelete