Monday, January 24, 2011

Tengo Un Trabajo!

I made it to Paris and back... have lots of pictures to share when I finally get them uploaded!

I'll save that for another day when motivation exists.

I had an interview last Thursday evening for a job in Sevilla Este at an English after-school academy. She gave me the job on the spot even though I couldn't really speak to her in Spanish at all. Part of the interview, though, she had me plan a quick lesson and give a ten minute class as if she was the student. I had to teach "present perfect" to her. I felt pretty confident after that. She said her only worry was that I don't speak any Spanish.. how were the children to learn?

Listen, lady. I just spent a year with 3 year-old Koreans whom I taught to read (more or less) and I don't speak a word of Korean. In fact, I think it's better if the students are forced to speak English because they know I won't understand them otherwise. She said: Perfect. The hours are yours.

So that's what they mean when they teach you to sell yourself in an interview... probably should've acquired that skill a little earlier.

Anyways, the job is 2 hours a day, Monday-Thursday so I was on the search for a little supplement as well. I had a meeting tonight with the most precious couple ever. They are both early thirties, recently married and want to do private lessons on the weekends with two of their friends. She's from Colombia, so I could understand her Spanish much better than the usual around here. I loved them. They loved me, I think. Well, they bought me pizza and asked me to start next weekend. I buy pizza for people I love, don't you? Anyway, I think I can stay in Spain... for a little while anyway!

Other than that, I've just been settling in to the schedule of the Spaniards. It's hard to only work two hours a day (from 5pm-7pm, at that) and actually do anything with yourself. You'd think I'd have this blog up to date to the minute and the Spanish language mastered, but I don't. The other thing about being Spanish is that everything is a much slower process. So I sleep late, I cook slowly, I read a lot, I nap. It's such a different world from the am to pm working world of the Koreans. It's also really hard to be productive when it's 45 degrees out and you don't have heat. We could buy a space heater, theoretically, but that's way too much for my proud, eco-friendly, super frugal roommate to handle... so instead, we are going to tough it out. You know, like cavemen.

It's not really that bad, it's just hard to get out from underneath the blankets and put my little piggies down on cold marble floors. Speaking of the floors, this apartment is fantastic! There are two bedrooms, a kitchen, a dining/living room and a balcony that makes all of our neighbors envious. Laura and I share a room and Edward, a Londonaire that took the TEFL class with Laura, lives in the other room. We get along pretty well.

I promise pictures will come soon. I've got a couple more meetings for private lessons this week and really need to get some other computer work done, but in Spanish time... they will come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment