Friday, January 14, 2011

Goals for Spain, or rather... the absence of them.

I'm sitting in the airport in Madrid, just watched the sun come up, waiting for my connecting flight to Sevilla.

I have an interview tonight at Blue School, where Laura works, and hopefully a couple of teaching hours a week comes from it. I'm really looking forward to hanging out with little Spaniards and helping them with their English.

Sevilla's population is at about 1 million (I don't know if that's the whole province or just the city). It's a sizable place in terms of population, but at some point when they built a cathedral in the middle of the city, they also enacted a law that said no building could be built higher than the bell tower at the church (about 5-6 stories). Sevilla, then, boasts lots of opportunities as any big city would but has a small euro-town charm that makes you want to stay forever... or at least come back, in my case. Jury's out on the forever.

There's a small river that cuts right through the center of town and is dotted with restaurants and bars and restaurant/bars. A night owl like me will fit right in, as the Spanish culture loves to stay out and/or up late and sleep late. It's 3:30 am my time right now so I think that qualifies.

When I moved to Korea, I didn't know what to expect but I did have some goals in terms of personal growth. I really wanted to adapt an attitude of, "why the hell not?" and I think I succeeded pretty well. I am, in fact, moving to Spain without a job. I mean, why not?

Spanish goals are harder to put to words. I don't really know how long I'll be here so I can only say that I want to embrace the language as much as possible. However, the more I teach English, the longer I stay but the less hours a day that are focused on Spanish. I would like to do some traveling along the Mediterranean, but again... depends on how much teaching I can get in. I wouldn't be opposed to a Spanish boyfriend, but that's not really in my control. As I'm writing this I'm processing what I'm really saying and that is that I don't have any real set goals. I'm just going to take it as it comes, develop meaningful relationships with the people around me, eat paella, drink tinto and try to learn the flamenco. Because, why the hell not?

3 comments:

  1. Laura14.1.11

    Sounds like a Plan to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous16.1.11

    molly---- can't wait for the blogs and your pics. i have a friend in london that i'm sure would put you up if you ever get that way. don't forget your 'pocket' spanish dictionary!! love, ap

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be safe.... love mom

    ReplyDelete