Saturday, January 30, 2010

Toyama Day 2/2.5

We woke up Monday and Karen joined Sayaka and her family for breakfast while I showered. Then, we went to Fushiki High School with Sayaka to meet Shota and Myruki for a tour while Sayaka cleaned the club room. Along our tour, we stumbled upon a shrine to BLHS and paid our respects:


Then, they walked us to a convenient store to get some snacks. I found something I've NEVER seen before... Coke Zero, PLUS FIBER! I couldn't believe. Of course, I HAD to have it. It tasted weird, kind of orange-y, and I don't think it did much for me... but good effort Coca-Cola!


We went back to school and ran into some other students that visited Luers, as well. I don't remember his name, but how hilarious that his baseball warmup is in English?

I think this is Kenta:

Then we went back to spy on Sayaka (and sit by the only space heater we saw in the school). She was rocking out in the band room.

Myruki, Bear, and Shota outside Fushiki High School:


After school, on our way to the mall, we stopped to get some tako yaki. It is a fried, doughy, pastry with a piece of octopuc in the middle. Its then covered in a bbq sauce and a mayo of sorts and then sprinkle with dried fish flakes. I loved it. Bear, well...


Sisters Rowan at the mall:


Shopping, yea!!!! (Sayaka and Karen)
A department store where I bought some sake since I was so mad I didn't get any in Tokyo:

After some shopping we met Daiki at a international buffet in the mall. Bear got chicken tenders, fries, and ice cream and was happy again. I got sushi, broccoli, japanese noodles, and granola and couldn't have been happier myself. Here are the minors:

Then, we went back to Sayaka's house and sat in the kitchen while she prepared dinner for her family. Her mother is newly pregnant and is on a bed-rest of sorts, so Sayaka's been taking over many of the household chores.


After she made dinner, she baked us some yummy shortbread cookies.


Then, we exchanged gifts. Bear brought them some DeBrand's and they gave us a Japanese tea set with green tea. Here's Bear with our host family:

The next morning, we woke up and pretty much went straight to the airport to fly back to Seoul. It was a quick trip, but so worth it to see how the other half (the non-big city dwellers) of Japan
lives Bear took some great pics of the mountains from the airplane, but I'll have to show you that picture next time because I'm at school and pictures are at my apartment on my laptop.
To come: Duck Night, Dr. Fish, Marissa's arrival/NYE, New Year's Day, Korean Folk Village, Myeongdong/ Seoul Tower/Gyeongbukgong, Bear's Last Night, and MY BIRTHDAY!
whew. I have a lot of work to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment